Saturday March 23rd 2024 – 10am to 4pm
Venue: Old Grammar School, Chipping Sodbury near Bristol and Bath.
Limited to twelve places
Early-bird booking (sale price) finishes at the end of February or when fully booked
Payment for the course can be by:
- paypal (click on paypal button)
- debit/credit card (click on paypal, and then click pay by debit / credit card)
- bank transfer (add to basket and then go to basket via pop up menu)any booking difficulties please call/text Stewart on 0795 512 4000
2 in stock
Part of the Designing a Great Photo-book Like a Professional Workshops
Purely Affinity Publisher Workshop : All about the Basics
Saturday March 23rd 2024 10am – 4pm
The Affinity Publisher Desktop
“A really enjoyable day learning new skills”
This in-person workshop will provide an introduction to photo-book publishing using Affinity Publisher to design a book/’zine of your images – This day is aimed at those with no limited or zero experience using Affinity Publisher.
During the workshop Stewart will design a book live from start to finish, explaining in detail what he is doing along the way. You are welcome to bring your own laptops and work alongside Stewart using your own files. By the end of the workshop the photo-book will be ready to send off for printing. Stewart will also share with you the printers he uses and recommends.
Stewart has been refered to as a “guru” on book and ‘zine publishing and is known to a number of the SYPC membership having run Ginko Photo-book workshops in Bath and Bristol that they have attended.
During the workshop Stewart will also introduce different ways of sequencing, both digital and using prints.
Image from a Photo-book workshop in 2023 in Lincolnshire
By the end of the workshop you will know:
- How to create a new design in Affinity Publisher
- How to create master pages
- How to prepare your images for publishing
- How to add images to the page
- How to prepare the text
- How to add text to the page and make it flow
- How to design the pages with text and images on
- How to make text wrap around images
- How to get the best colour
- How to export the PDF in the best colour profile for printing
- How to export the design for printing
- How to upload the file to the printer
- The best printers to use for your project
- Why using Affinity Publisher to create your photobooks can be preferable to using software such as Blurb’s BookWright
After the in-person workshop you will have free access to Stewart’s online course: ‘Purely Affinity Publisher: How to Design Great looking Photo-books” worth £55. The online course will remind you of what you heard on the live workshop.
The Tutor: Stewart Wall
In 2020 the Royal Photographic Society commissioned Stewart to write the criteria for a new distinctions genre called ‘Photo-books’ which he chaired for the first two years of its existance. He is also a Chair and Assessor of the Licentiate Distinction. He is an avid creator of photo-books and has plans to create 100 photo-books in 2024.
Stewart has been a professional photographer since he was taken on as a staff press photographer for The Brentwood Gazetter in 1978 whilst he was still technically a school boy. He went on to freelance for Fleet Street supplying images to newspapers such as The Sunday Times, The Express and the The Daily Mail.
In more recent times, over the last decade he has returned to school and completed a BA (hons) degree in Photography, an MA in Visual Communication (using photography) and a Level 7 PGCE teaching qualification in Lifelong Learning.
If you have to cancel we will make a full refund if we can fill your place.
In the unlikely event the event has to be cancelled we will refund the course fee or offer a place on another event if you prefer.
The Workshop Price includes:
1) The Workshop Day
2) Free access to Stewart’s new online course ‘A Master class in Creating Photobooks Like a Professional’